Monday, August 18, 2008

A Perfect Day

Today Mike and I decided to make the most of our last day off together for a while. I wanted to go to the Bay area to check out some of the National parks and Monuments and to get my Passport to the National Parks stamped. At the last minute we decided to take Lucky and Frankie with us.

We loaded up the car with plastic bags for picking up after the dogs, towels to wipe their muddy feet and a picnic lunch for us and water for all. This was our first major outing with the dogs since we got them. It was a beautiful day with temps around 59 degrees and a light breeze blowing. We started out by driving about 40 minutes away to Richmond and the Rosie the Riveter park. I stamped my book in the visitor center while Mike walked the dogs. This is somewhere that I really want to go back to because we didn't have the time to stop there for long.

Our second stop was at the Cliff House and Sutro Baths in San Francisco. I walked around the Cliff House taking pictures of it and the Sutro Baths. I also tried getting a few pictures of the surfers in the water. Mike took the dogs to the beach and had a great time walking them. At first they didn't know what to do with the sand. It was pretty funny. I had my Passport stamped in the gift shop and then met Mike at the beach to have our picnic lunch. The dogs enjoyed the sun and the sand and a little snack of chicken and water.








We got back in the car and drove to the Presidio. The Presidio was the oldest Army base in the United States dating back before the Civil war. When they closed the base in the late 80's, it was turned over to the National Park service. The visitors center is in the old Officers Wives Club building which has a gift shop with a very knowledgable little lady that told us all about the base. They have excavated part of the building down to the original adobe and bricks that the Spanish had put in and the hardwood floors dating back to the 1800's. I got some nice passport stamps there and then we drove down to Fort Point.








Fort Point is actually under the Golden Gate Bridge. I love that bridge. I got some great pictures of the bridge partially shrouded in fog and beautiful pictures of Fort Point. Because we were on a time schedule, we didn't go in depth anywhere today. It was all about seeing as much as we could today and deciding where we want to go to spend the day next time. I got my book stamped and then we went down to the Warming Hut on the bay and got my book stamped there.










Our last stop was the Marin Headlands. It is so beautiful out there. It's got a beautiful visitors center in an old chapel up on a hill. I got my book stamped and then we went down to the beach to see the pelicans that nest there. They are funny looking birds but I love to watch them sail when they fly.








Every one of the places we visited today deserves another look, so we will be planning more trips to the beautiful City by the Bay.

3 comments:

mtnstr1954 said...

We enjoy outings with our dogs, too. Our favorite place is Williamsburg, VA. We are going there for my birthday at the end of Sept. My school doesn't start until 9/2. Sounds like you visited a beautiful area!

homeschoolmommy said...

What cool pics mom. Looks like you had a lot of fun.

Karen said...

Cool pics mom! Love the ones of the golden gate bridge! :) Love ya!