Sunday, October 19, 2008

Bad Medicine

This past week has been challenging to say the least. When I went to my doctor last week, it was to complain about my feet going numb. It started with my toes and the front part of my foot a while ago but about 4 weeks ago it started feeling like I have a tight sock around my right ankle and I can feel the numbness creeping up my right leg. My doctor decided to try me on Gabapenten which is the generic for Nerontin. He told me that it's a seizure med that doesn't work for seizures but can work for neropathy. Before anyone asks, no I don't have diabetes. He's carefully checked me for that every time I visit him. Anyway, I had a reaction to the Gabapenten. I only took one pill but I woke up in the middle of the night with my face swollen and I looked like I had the mumps. Luckily it wasn't painful and it didn't cause my throat to swell, I just looked awful. That was a week ago last Wednesday and it seems to have set off a chain reaction of allergies. I ended back up at the minor injury clinic Friday night because I broke out in hives all over my body and my hands and feet were itching unbearably. I've been taking the generic for Claritin and Benadryl since that visit. That doctor seems to think that this is still a reaction from that one pill so I guess this is a cautionary tale about be careful what you ingest as medicine because it might be worse than the condition you're treating.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Yikes! I hope you are feeling better. I forgot about your quilt thing and called to tell you some stuff.Can't remember what now. :) Love you!

. . . Lisa and Robb . . . said...

How weird! I hope you get this all sorted out.

Robb takes this medication, but never had these issues.

Yikes!