Friday, October 03, 2008

Fall Memories and Tributes

It's been trying to rain here all day. The sky has been filled with those ominous black clouds and then suddenly sunshine. We finally had the breeze and it cooled down to around 68 degrees. When I was a little girl growing up in Michigan, fall was my favorite season. Raking leaves in the front yard into a big pile, jumping in them and then having to rake them again. We burned the leaves back in the day, and I can still recall that pungent scent. Isn't it funny how a scent, or a song on the radio, or even a word can take you back in time with your memories.

The kids on my bus were discussing favorite teachers today. We all agreed that the most memorable teachers are the good ones. I still remember Miss Phister. She was my 3rd grade teacher and she was a little old lady with white hair. She loved her students and we loved her. I got in trouble in her class one day when she called on me to answer a question. I couldn't answer her because I had a copy of Laura Ingalls Wilder's' book, "Farmer Boy" in my desk and was reading instead of paying attention. The boy sitting next to me, ratted me out and she made me bring the book up to her desk. I was mortified. At recess she called me to her and told me how much she liked the fact that I loved to read but I really had to pay attention in class. I didn't feel so bad after that.

Another teacher I remember is my sixth grade math teacher, Mr. Tremper. I remember him coming into class late one day, with tears in his eyes and he announced that school would be over for the day because President John F. Kennedy had just been assassinated. What a horrible day.

I remember Mr. Lynch that taught my high school biology class and made me want to study science. I remember a very dramatic, funny man named Mr. Plourd, that taught my 12th grade English class and made me love Shakespeare. I had a lot of great teachers and I'm glad we have a lot of caring, loving teachers in this country that seek to inspire and create a wonderful learning environment for their students.

We lost a great teacher and coach this past week. Mr. Zunino or Coach Z as he was so lovingly known passed away last Friday. His funeral is tomorrow. He will be missed and remembered by this community with love and respect.

No comments: