Sunday, October 05, 2008

Fettuccine Bolognese and Apple-Pie Cake

Today was the perfect day to cook the Italian way. Slow.... I decided to make a Bolognese sauce that I had made before and I knew it would take most of the day. This recipe is from the Williams Sonoma Italian Essentials and I bought it when we came back from Italy last year. It's written by an Italian and the recipes are very authentic to what we experienced in Italy.

To start this recipe you make a soffrito. It's a combination of onion, celery, and carrot or as the Italians call it, the Trinity. You chop the vegetables and melt some unsalted butter in a heavy skillet and cook until they get a nice shade of brown. It also has pancetta in it. It's the base for the sauce. Here's what it looks like at the start.








Here's what the soffrito looks like after about 45 minutes of cooking.






Then I added ground pork, ground chuck, tomato paste, San Marino tomatoes, and beef broth. It had to cook down another three hours.



The finished product with a little salad.



I also made the Apple-Pie Cake from Dorie Greenspan's book.





The family loved the Fettuccine Bolognese but we all found the cake a little dry. It still was a great way to spend the day and I was smart enough to double the recipe for the Bolognese sauce. I can freeze it or make a Lasagna at the end of the week.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Looks delicious mom!