Monday, December 29, 2008

It's working!

I've been on my Weight Watcher program for two days now. That may not seem like much, but I have to do this one day at a time. I've stayed within my daily points total and I've been trying to remember to get at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies and to drink all my water. I even went out and walked the dogs for a mile today.

Last night I made a weight watcher recipe that I got at my meeting. Baked Spaghetti Carbonara. I love Carbonara from my local Olive Garden, but it's so high in calories and points that it has to be off limits right now. This weight watcher recipe was great. Our leader said that she had made it for her husband and he liked it but thought the spaghetti was a little bland. I think I fixed that problem by adding red bell pepper, onion, and some red pepper flakes. Nothing I added changed the calories or points for this recipe.

Here's the recipe my way.

Baked Spaghetti Carbonara

1/2 lb whole wheat spaghetti
4 slices turkey bacon, diced
2 med. leeks, white part only, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 pinch red pepper flakes, optional
1 cup fat free egg substitute
1 1/4 cups 1% milk
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9" deep dish pie plate with non-stick cooking spray. Cook spaghetti in salted boiling water until al dente. Meanwhile, cook bacon in skillet over med-high heat until browned-about 3 minutes.
Add leeks, onion, red bell pepper, minced garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and italian seasoning. Cook until all veggies are softened, about 2-5 minutes. Drain spaghetti and add to mixture in skillet. Toss together and put in pie plate. Combine egg substitute and milk. Pour over spaghetti mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Place on a baking sheet and bake until center is set and golden brown, 25-35 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 6 wedges.
4 pts per serving
226 calories, 4 grams fat, 1 gram sat. fat, 0 trans fat, 12 mg. chol, 166 mg calcium, 488 sodium, 36 carbs, 5 grams fiber, 15 grams of protein

Hope you try this recipe and like it as much as I do. Let me know okay. I will try to post more recipes that I try on my weight loss journey.

1 comment:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is feel good......