Monday, November 09, 2009

Songs of my Youth

For some reason today, I can't get some songs out of my head that I learned when I was a teenager at church. Don't get me wrong, I love the music today but for some reason I can't remember the contemporary songs I've learned in church in the last ten years but all the songs I learned 40 years ago are flooding my soul.

Heaven is a wonderful place
Filled with glory and grace
I want to see my Savior's face
Heaven is a wonderful, Heaven is a glorious, Heaven is a wonderful place.

Teenager are you lonely
Do you need a friend
Take Jesus as your Savior
He will be there till the end
He'll be your guide
Stay by your side
Teenager take Jesus today!

I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever
I will sing, I will sing
I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever
I will sing of the mercies of the Lord.
With my mouth will I make known
Thy faithfullness, Thy faithfullness
With my mouth will I make known
Thy faithfullness to all generations.
I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, I will sing of the mercies of the Lord.

Oh Lord my God
When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds thy hands have made
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder
Thy power throughout the universe displayed
Then sings my soul
My Savior God to thee
How great thou art, How great thou art!
Then sings my soul
My Savior God to thee
How great thou art, How great thou art!

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind, but now I see.
When we've been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Then when we first began

By the way, what was up when we were kids of only singing the 1st and 3rd verses of a hymm? Anybody know or was that just in the interest of time. I always felt like I was missing some good music when we skipped the 2nd and 4th verses.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Debbie! I know what you mean! Those precious hymns we learned were so wonderful and I think that is why my favorite Sirius station is Enlighten channel 67. I love the old songs we used to sing.
The worship songs today are wonderful, but sometimes I think they drag on too much. There's as much meat in a hymn as there is in these new songs that everyone seems to think are the only way to get you in an act of praise to the Throne! I'll take the oldies any day :D
But this is, of course, my humble opinion :D