Friday, July 09, 2010

Psycho Dog

I have two male boxers. Our oldest one, Frankie is between 10 and 12 years old. The youngest one, Lucky, aka Psycho Dog, is around 5 years old. Lucky is the sweetest dog most of the time, but he has issues. We adopted both dogs from NorCal Boxer Rescue a couple of years ago. Lucky and his mother had been put out in a back yard to starve to death. When they were rescued, neither of the dogs weighed even 40 lbs. Lucky now weighs somewhere around 60 to 65 lbs. I think because of that abuse he has issues with food and eating everything he can get his mouth on. If we are not there to pick up the poop as soon as he does it, he'll eat it. He's not good with little kids, which is unusual for a boxer, so we have to keep him away from our grand kids or watch him closely when he's around them. He's jealous of any attention I pay towards Frankie and even to my husband. He will try and put himself in between me and the object of my affection. He also seems to know any time we are getting ready to leave on vacation. We don't take them with us, but we always get our daughter to house sit and take care of the dogs while we are gone.

Lucky will start moping around a few days before we leave. He will eat less, drink less, sometimes vomit or have diarrhea. The last three days he's been doing that again. I've taken him to the vet each time and they can't find anything wrong with this dog. It's frustrating because I really can't afford another vet bill for his head trip but I don't want to see the dog really sick and not pay attention. I'm taking him off all food today and we'll see how he feels tomorrow.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I was wondering when reading this if he just needs a 'fast' like humans do.

Marion said...

I also have two dogs and one of them is named Lucky. I've had Lucky since he was just a few weeks old...yet Lucky has issues with food as well. And with jealousy, although he is really great with my grandkids. It's the other dog, Nate, who we have to watch.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to see inside their heads so that we could actually help? All I've been able to do is accept that Lucky might or might not eat on any particular day. I have no idea what sets his anxiety off...it's just the way he is. Nate, on the other hand, eats everything in sight, although he hasn't done the poop thing.

Good luck with your Lucky!