Tuesday, July 06, 2010

What's Meant To Be

Do you believe in love at first sight? I'm not sure I do, but I believe that there are things that are meant to be.
My hubby and I have a great meant to be story. I had been divorced about five years and was not dating very much and that was okay with me. I was 44 years old and had two daughters that were 19 and 22. My oldest daughter was away at college and my youngest one was engaged and planning her wedding.

One night my friend Michele, called me and asked if I would like to go to dinner with her. I said yes and she asked if I would pick her up at her office because her daughter had her car. I said yes and when I got there, she was on the phone. Now Michele had been divorced about 5 years also and was not dating. As soon as I saw her face, I knew she was talking to a man because she was as red as a beet and just saying uh ha, uh ha.
She put her hand over the mouthpiece and said this guy wants to go out with me. I asked her if he sounded nice and she shook her head yes. I told her to go ahead and make a date with him at a local restaurant and don't get in his car. She made a date to meet him at Bakers Square for coffee a couple of days later.

When she got off the phone, she said, "I don't want to go out with him." I said, "Why not, does he sound like an axe murderer." She said no, but she didn't want to go out with him. Michele explained to me that a patient named Marilyn had come in for treatment and told Michele that she just had to meet her friend, Mike. That he would be perfect for Michele and she just wouldn't give up. Michele told her she would let her know if she wanted to meet Mike and Marilyn took that as a yes. She went home and called Mike and gave her Michele's office number and told him to call. That's when I found Michele on the phone with Mike.

We went to dinner, and for two hours I tried to convince her that she should meet him, but as I was talking to her, I had a very strong feeling that I was the one that should meet him. It was weird because I was not the type of person that went on blind dates or would give my phone number to any random person. At the end of the evening, Michele told me that she was going to call Marilyn and tell her to call Mike and let him know she wouldn't be meeting him. I told her if she was really not going to meet him, to give him my phone number.

Three days later, Mike called me. He had a very pleasant voice and manner about him and I agreed to meet him for lunch at Bakers Square. I arrived at Bakers Square first and when he came in and introduced himself, the first thing I noticed about him was his eyes. He has the most beautiful hazel eyes with eyelashes that most women would die for. He told me he was a widower with two small children. He was five years older then me but he and his late wife had the children later in their marriage. They had been married 22 years when she passed away. His daughters were 5 and 8 when their mother died. He showed me pictures of these beautiful little girls with eyes like his and he was so proud of them. I told him about my two girls and how proud I was of them and showed him pictures. We sat and talked for 3 hours. By the end of that date I knew this person was going to be special to me. We got married 14 months to the day after we met and we've been married over 13 years now. He's my lover, my best friend and the best companion I could ever hope to have. I'm sure that it was God's voice I was hearing whispering in my ear that day, telling me I was the one that was supposed to meet Mike. By the way, Michele was our wedding photographer!

6 comments:

Sue said...

Awwww *tears in my eyes*...that was the sweetest thing I've read in a quite a while :)

I never knew this;)

Thank you for sharing it with us. Isn't God neat the way He does things? He never ceases to amaze me.

RuYanda said...

Gosh. I cried after reading this. =)

Pam said...

What a sweet and romantic story.

homeschoolmommy said...

I remember that. :-)

Marion said...

Hello, Debbie! I found your blog when I googled a woman of a certain age. I love your posts and I wondered if you would mind if I put you on my reading list? It lets me keep up with the blogs I really like.

Thanks for a very entertaining story...your love for each other is so heart-warming!

Karen said...

Aww. That is a sweet story mom! :) And meant to be!