Friday, October 22, 2010

FFWD: Hachis Parmentier

I was really looking forward to this recipe from "Around My French Table" by Dorie Greenspan. It lived up to my expectations. Check out my link to French Fridays with Dorie and buy the book and start cooking. This recipe did take a long time and I think the next time I make it, I will break it up over a couple of days. I added the carrots from the broth to the meat, basically to add some color. I also used more garlic than suggested. I thought the broth was tasty, but I did add the boullion cube. I also used smoked Gruyere and the parmesan cheese.

Step one

Step two

Step three

The Finished French Shepard's Pie

This was just plain old comfort food on a rainy Friday.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Nice step by step photos mom! :) This was good stuff! Where did you find the tomato paste and could you reseal it? I bought a tiny can but didn't know how to store it.

Debbie said...

I bought the tomato paste in the grocery store where the canned stuff is. Look at the top shelf. It's usually there. It's just like a tube of toothpaste. You just screw the top back on. It's kind of pricey but considering I usually end up throwing the rest of the can away, it was worth it. Also, Karen, take the rest of the paste out of the can and put it in a storage container and refrigerate it. When it grows hair, throw it out.Har Har!

Flourchild said...

WOW it looks soo yummy! I love how you laid all the ingredients out and took a picture:)! I also love your blog picture of the kids on the scooter looking things!!

Pam said...

Wow! That looks comforting, hearty, and oh so delicious!