Friday, October 15, 2010

FFWD: Spicy Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup

Check out the French Fridays with Dorie link in my blog list. There are about 700 members of this blog, cooking these wonderful recipes from Dorie Greenspan's new cookbook, "Around My French Table."
Tonight was this pot of deliciousness. I was worried that this would be really spicy and I knew my husband wouldn't eat it if it was, so I didn't put in the dried chillies. Also, necessity is the mother of invention. I didn't buy cheese cloth or twine because I knew I had some. Ha! I couldn't find either one, so I used my tea ball for the spices and tied a bundle of cilantro stems with mint dental floss and tossed it into the pot. I used a whole star of anise and at the end I added the juice of two limes. We could taste the subtle licorice taste of the anise and the cilantro and the lime really added some good flavor. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts but next time I will use the bone in chicken for added flavor. My husband loved this soup, my daughter gave it a so-so and I think it was very good. I wasn't feeling very good when I came home from work but a bowl of this soup worked wonders settling my stomach and putting me to rights. I will make it again. Thanks Dorie for the recipe and Laurie for the blog.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Looks good mom! That is funny that you tied the stems with mint dental floss. Maybe that was what made it so good! :)

Flourchild said...

Great idea to use your tea ball and floss..sunny! YOur soup looks great..I needed to add some green!!

Flourchild said...

I meant to say Funny..not Sunny!!:))

scrambledhenfruit said...

Your soup looks yummy! Don't you hate it when you know you have something and then can't find it? Very inventive to use the tea ball and floss. :)

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

I love ur used ur tea ball, i wud love to dat next time!!
i didn have cheese cloth too!!
YEah a bowl of soup does wonders , we are flu striken family @d moment!!

lifeisfull said...

Your soup looks good. Who would have thought to use mint dental floss to add mint flavor to the soup?! ;-)