Friday, November 19, 2010

FFWD: Potato Gratin

This week I decided to do the Potato Gratin from "Around My French Table" by Dorie Greenspan. Check out my French Fridays with Dorie link to see what everybody else has been cooking this week. I was looking forward to this recipe with a little dread. I knew the recipe would be delicious but it meant I had to struggle with my demons about using a mandolin. I consider this the most dangerous piece of equipment in my kitchen and if I was threatened by an intruder, I'm sure I could slice and dice them with this thing. All my apprehension is because a few years ago, the first time I used it, I cut myself severely. The potato I was slicing got caught in the blade and I removed the guard to try and pull it out. When I couldn't pull it out, I had a major brain fart and tried to push it through with my bare fingers. Not a smart idea. I ended up cutting my thumb pretty bad. It was very traumatic. My advice: DON'T EVER REMOVE THE GUARD, NO MATTER WHAT!


After following my own advice, I sliced the potatoes just fine with my handy mandolin and the resulting dish was wonderful cheesy deliciousness. I served it with steamed green beans and pork chops glazed with a combination of orange marmalade, honey mustard, and crushed fennel seeds. Definitely a keeper recipe and meal.


11 comments:

Sue said...

Gosh, I haven't eaten all day and that just looks so wonderful!

I love my mandolin too, but you're right, they can be scary.

Enjoy your weekend!
Hugs

Tia said...

looks so good - i want to make this again tonight!

Steph said...

Glad you survived the evil mandolin :) Great job!

Kris' Kitchen said...

I think the best thing about you making this gratin is that you conquered a fear and now have a kitchen tool that can be a friend. And this dish is so tasty and looks so beautiful when all the potatoes are so nicely sliced. Great job!

Karen said...

Looks delicious Mom! I bet you could slice and dice an intruder with that mandolin! :)

Karen said...

Looks delicious Mom! I bet you could slice and dice an intruder with that mandolin! :)

Kathleen said...

Oh yum! This looks fabulous!

onewetfoot said...

Your gratin looks lovely, but your mandoline story is frightening!

Cher said...

I can appreciate the mandoline story - I had one of those with a can opener and a can of Tomato Soup (which has since been banned from the house).

Looks great.

Steph said...

I had the same trepidation about the mandolin. I was so careful with it...no issues. Then, when I was cleaning the food processor blade, I had the same brain fart you did and rammed my thumb down on it...ouch & yuck! The gory details are in my post for latter this week. I'm glad you survived unscathed this time. Your gratin looks delicious!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I have the same issues with my mandolin, but I also don't have the knife skills to slice beautiful, perfect slices with a knife. Your potatoes look great!