Thursday, February 28, 2013

BELIEVING GOD CAN DO WHAT HE SAYS HE CAN DO

I've been doing Beth Moore's Bible study, "Believing God" for the past six weeks and one of the things we've studied has been, "Does God still do miracles in this day and age." I believe God performed a miracle for me last night.

Ten days ago, I lost the diamond out of my engagement ring. I was very upset because I had been everywhere that day and when I noticed it missing I had just gotten out of the hot tub at the senior center and gotten into the pool. I had a good cry and prayed for God's help to find it, but I didn't hold out much hope that it would be found. As the days wore on, I started to take the attitude that  it was okay, it was just stuff and even though my husband took me to a jewelry store to check on replacing it, I just didn't want to do it. I missed a couple of my water aerobic classes for one reason or another, but I went last night. While I was in the pool, our instructor, Karen, pointed out a lady that was swimming laps in the lane behind our class. She told us that Andrea had been the water aerobics instructor and had actually been Karen's instructor. Karen hadn't seen her in years because Andrea gave up the job to become a flight attendant and had busy traveling all over the world. As I was exercising, I  kept seeing Andrea pass me out of the corner of my eye. She had her snorkeling gear on and was having a good time. I saw her suddenly stop and then she called the life guard over  and he handed her a net. "Could it be that she found my diamond," I thought. Before I realized what I was doing, I had left the class and was by her side. I asked her if she had found a diamond and she said, "Well it's either a diamond or a piece of glass." She kept diving for it, but every time she tried to pick it up it moved. Finally, she was able to grab it and when she put it in my hand, there it was, my heart shaped diamond. I was so overwhelmed that I started crying and hugging her and thanking her. The class erupted in cheers and everyone was hugging me, hugging her and it was complete chaos. My next thought was to get out of the pool before I dropped it again.

When I got home with my husband, I had to sit and think about what had just happened. When I asked God to help me find that diamond, did I really believe he would do it? My answer, to my shame, is no. Not that he couldn't help me but that it was to small a thing to "bother" him with. Where did I get that idea? God loves us and wants to give us all good things. Nothing is too big or too small for God. We may not get the answer to prayer that we want but God always answers and uses it for our good. Sometimes it just takes a while for us to see his hand. Beth Moore says, "Sometimes God may prioritize the faith required to continue trusting Him when we don't get what we ask over the faith required to receive it."

Last night I couldn't sleep because I was thinking about the miracles that God has performed in my life. The miracle of having godly grandparents, that took us to church every Sunday and wanted to help us know God. Hearing my grandmother pray, at the age of 90, for every member of her family including me, for safety and protection, for guidance and love and that we would always  follow Jesus. The miracle of my first child being safely delivered and for me being healed of pre-eclampsia. The miracle of having my second child with no complications. The miracle of being provided a job when God knew I would need to support myself and my children. The miracle of meeting my second husband, just when the time was right, and being privileged to raise two more lovely daughters.
Psalm 77:13-14 says, "Your ways, O God, are holy. What God is so great as our God? You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples."

The biggest miracle and more precious than diamonds or gold is when God brought me to my knees to confess my sins and be washed clean by the blood of the Lamb. God cares for us all.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that who so ever believes in him, will not perish, but have everlasting life. Take the time today, to ponder the miracles God has done in your life and ask yourself if you've taken him up on the miracle of His Son and the forgiveness we all can find there.

1 comment:

Michelle Muse said...

I love Beth Moore..have done some of her bible studies..im glad you were blessed!