Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Cooking "Down South"

Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a big cookbook collector. I could probably cook something different everyday and not run out of recipes for the rest of my life.
I just got a new cookbook called, "Down South" by Donald Link. It's a beautiful  book, the pictures are stunning and I love the author's anecdotes about growing up in the South. The first chapter starts out with cocktails. I'm not much of a drinker but the recipes were interesting. A recipe for Cherry Bounce caught my eye, because I'm a big fan of the Outlander books and that is a drink they had in the eighteenth century.

If you are a big seafood fan, this book is for you. From Watermelon Gazpacho with Crabmeat, to Grilled Scallops with Green Garlic Butter, all the recipes look tantalizing and fairly easy to make.

Donald also has some great recipes for meat including Braised Chicken with Salami and Olives, Lamb Shoulder Stew with Lemons and Olives, Tupelo Honey-Glazed Ham, and Pork Belly and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet.

 In the appetizer section they have a recipe for Parmesan Bacon Gougeres. These are little cheese puff bites that are the perfect appetizer. If you're looking for a new cookbook and you like Southern food I  suggest you get this cookbook.





Donald Link is the chef-owner of Herbsaint, Cochon, Cochan Butcher, Peche, and Calcasieu in New Orleans. He won the James Beard Award for Best Chef South in 2007, and his first book, Real Cajun, won the James Beard Award for Best American Cookbook.

I received this book from "Blogging for Books"for this review.

1 comment:

Tealovinglady said...

Yeah! Your doing the Blogging for Books now also! I haven't had much luck in getting a book that I really wanted yet though.

I just got my new book but it is Dessert Coctails. Some sound yummy but I don't have hardly any of the ingredients that they call for.