Sunday, October 05, 2014

Blue Ribbon Baking from a Redneck Kitchen

I received this book from Blogging for Books a couple of weeks ago, but I've been so busy, I didn't pick it up until yesterday. My kids and grand kids were coming for dinner so I decided it would be a perfect time for dessert baking. 

I watched Francine Bryson on the American Baking Competition last year and she became my favorite to watch. The show was hosted by Jeff Foxworthy and had a variety of people from all walks of life competing, but Francine stood out as a sassy, but sweet Southern lady that really knew her way around a kitchen. I felt like she got robbed when she didn't win, but she was a finalist and I knew I would  probably see a cookbook from her someday.That day has come.

Her  new cookbook, Blue Ribbon Baking from a Redneck Kitchen is a must have. Her recipes are clearly written and easy to follow and the pictures are beautiful. She includes little  stories about how she came up  with the recipes and it really is an entertaining read. I love Francine's pie chapter, where she gives a lot of great recipes for different kinds of pie crust before she starts with the actual pie recipe. In the chapter Baked Goods to Show Off, she has a recipe for World-Famous Chocolate Bacon Peanut Butter Pie. She made this on the show and the British judge almost tossed his cookies when she told him what she was making, but once he tasted it,  he was won over big time!

Today I chose to make Cheater's Caramel Apple Dump Cake. It was a really easy recipe and the whole family loved it. How can you go wrong with apples, apple pie filling, cream cheese, cinnamon, brown sugar, caramel syrup, and a boxed cake mix. These recipes may not be health food for every day consumption but everybody needs a little sweet in their life sometime

.http://www.randomhouse.com/book/237242/blue-ribbon-baking-from-a-redneck-kitchen-by-francine-bryson-foreword-by-jeff-foxworthy

 http://www.randomhouse.com/author/189108/francine-bryson-foreword-by-jeff-foxworthy


I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.


1 comment:

Tealovinglady said...

This is the book I really really wanted to review! I'm glad you got it and tried a recipe though